Posted by Michael in


Name 3 judges of Israel? What is the major theme in the book of Amos? Name the Ten Commandments? What were the names of the sons of Noah?

These and questions like it lend to our knowledge of the bible as a whole. What do you know of the scriptures? As an avid student of systematic theology, I reckoned myself pretty bright in the area of biblical comprehension. I believed that my knowledge of the sacred text was fairly vast. The problem with my presupposition was that by which I was using as a standard of measurement, measuring myself by the knowledge of those around me, gauging myself in light of the culture and environment. What came to pass was every bit as enlightening as it was humbling.

I have become acutely aware of a commonality in modern American churches, perhaps abroad as well, but for the sake of my limited understanding, I will narrow it even further unto the American churches. It is a highly likely, when posed with questions like the aforementioned, many of us will stand dumbfounded as I myself have come to stand. I have read my bible cover to cover several times and each time come away wondering why I could not understand and retain the literature. I desire to know God in a more personal way and with the knowledge of God gain knowledge of self, but to no real avail.

So what do we do? How do we as lay people in the church come to gain a better understanding of the word of God? I believe we must take a more systematized approach at biblical theology. It is important to understand the context of the bible as well as its main concepts. For instance, Jesus is at the heart of all biblical literature and the Old Testament brings us into a type of Christ. We see the theme of Christ played out whether it is in the origins, the poetry books or prophetic literature. Christ is the thematic foundation to it all. So how would something like that help us in our approach to greater understanding? It helps us in that, by laying out books in survey outlines, we can ascertain the themes of each book and thusly come to an understanding as to the purpose and theological significance therein.

In Genesis, we have the Noahatic accounts which are a type of the new earth and new beginnings. We can draw many parallels to Gods bringing us back into a pre-fall purity. In Matthew, we see the destruction of the temple and the destruction of Jerusalem in ad 70 as a type of the coming judgments. The bible is a continual revelation of God and His analysis of mankind. It is all a biblical theme which winds its way through all of scripture. Each book though has its own theology and emphasis.

I have personally set out to methodically increase my understanding of the whole of scripture through the understanding of individual books and the structural overview of each. It is my intention to bring glory to God through greater understanding of the text. I believe systematic and biblical theology are two hinges for the same door and it is my desire to grow in both facets and allowing one to minister to the other. I have purchased some textual helps to come alongside my quest, including, "An Old Testament Theology" by Dr Bruce Waltke and "An Introduction to the New Testament" by D.A. Carson and Douglas Moo. Both of these voluminous texts are perhaps more than the average reader would need as a resource but find the ideal textual resource and get to work.

The important thing is setting aside time for God with bibles open in a prayerful and purposeful quest for the Lord. I pray your endeavors find fruitfulness and that God is truly glorified and in Him you are fully satisfied.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment